Archive for category: TFS

TFS 2015 Upgrade to Update 1 failed (VS402388 / TF401147)

08 Mar 2016
March 8, 2016

Recently I tried to upgrade a TFS 2015 installation for a client to Update 1. Because I did not find a solution in the internet (even with the error code TF401147), it’s time to blog about a solution.

Installation of Update 1 – VS402388 / TF401147

The installation of update 1 worked perfectly: In the first place I installed it because we wanted to move TFS to a more performant server and I installed the new server with TFS 2015 Update 1. Once I tried to connect the new server with the configuration database it told me that the database is old and I need to update it. Well, let’s just update the old server I said to myself (lessons learned here, trust me!) – installed, rebooted server during lunch time and run the upgrade wizard. It stopped because it could not create the IIS site hosting TFS:

I checked IIS and the site was not there anymore. IISReset and deleting all app pools – same result. Removing the IIS role from the server – same result. Then I focused on the server certificate, it was in the cert store but expired on 12.01.2016 – mhh… changed the system clock back to 11.01.2016 – same result. So i was stuck.

Always have a ‘Plan B’ – and backups!

Luckily, as mentioned, the final goal was to move TFS to a new server. So I did the upgrade of the configuration database on the new server and installed the application tier there – changed the URL and at least the web interface was back and people could continue working. Did I mention that I was super happy that I created backups before?

Getting help!

Once an error occurs within the TFS installation or upgrade you are requested to send the zipped logs to tfcare@microsoft.com – and I did so.

TFCARE

I was really surprised to get a reply within 20 minutes – not an automated one as I expected, Vladimir Khvostov replied instantly. After explaining my problems and verifying that the IIS is really empty, Vladimir told me to delete  C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Team Foundation\Configuration\SavedSettings\ApplicationTier   and try again:help from vladimir

And that worked, thanks again Vladimir!

If that happens again with Update 2 (I am really awaiting that one!), I won’t even hesitate to send a line to those awesome guys!

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. more information

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.

Close