Archive for month: February, 2013

Chocolatey Package: SharePoint 2013 Search Query Tool

09 Feb 2013
February 9, 2013

I am a huge fan of automation and powershell  – this should explain why I really love chocolatey (a package manager to install software with powershell).

Today I created a new feed for SharePoint 2013 Development Tools: and uploaded the very cool SharePoint 2013 Search Query Tool to the chocolatey gallery. This tool helps creating and testing search querries – and search is everywhere in SharePoint 2013!


After installing chocolatey you can get a great starter toolset with one line of powershell:

This installs 18 tools for SharePoint 2013 development – all of my favorites are included. I maintain a second feed on MyGet for SharePoint 2010 tools, I guess the SP2013 feed will grow and diverge over time.

SharePoint 2013 Design Manager: Map network drive on Windows Server 2012

07 Feb 2013
February 7, 2013

So the best way to adjust and edit MasterPages and DisplayTemplates in SharePoint 2013 is to map a network drive and edit the files directly there or copy them to this location.

If your SharePoint is hosted on Windows Server 2012 this does not work without configuration – I am really surprised that the config wizard or the PreRequisite Installer does not add the required service – but lets just focus on the solution.


Open the Server Manager.


Click next until “Features”.


Expand the greyed-out “User Interfaces and Infrastructure”, check the Desktop Experience entry (I took the screenshot after installing it).


Click next and install the feature. Then you have to reboot the Server.

After the reboot open the Service Manager (services.msc) and start the WebClient service – and if you want set it to automatic start so it works after the next reboot.


After this open an explorer and try to connect to \\<hostname>\_catalogs\ and the result should look like this:


Cache cluster is down, restart the cache cluster and Retry

05 Feb 2013
February 5, 2013

Had a small issue with my SharePoint 2013 MySite today, I could not update a User Profile in Central Admin – this is what I got from the ULS Log:


ULSViewer: The exception is pointing us in the right direction.

The Execute method of job definition Microsoft.Office.Server.UserProfiles.LMTRepopulationJob (ID 104963a2-b53c-4476-bc23-fa7d6453e42f) threw an exception. More information is included below.  Unexpected exception in FeedCacheService.IsRepopulationNeeded: Cache cluster is down, restart the cache cluster and Retry.

At least the error message pointed me to the right direction, the Cache Cluster is new in SharePoint 2013 and I associated it with the app fabric distributed cache. As I first read it it sounded like “The King is dead – long live the King!” – but maybe I watch to many movies…


Restart the app fabric service and wait a couple of second with a line of powershell:

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. more information

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.